Cabbage Rolls with Lemon and Eggs | Lahanodolmades Avgolemono
By Evmorfia Tzagarakis
This Cabbage Rolls with Lemon and Eggs recipe is shared by Efi, one of the winners of our foodie community Mother's Day competition "My mum makes the best...", who won one of the 5 Ladi Biosas Extra Virgin Olive Oil handcrafted ceramic bottles by Melpomeni. But let's hear it from Efi herself:
The following recipe is one that I grew up with and learnt to make from my mama Maria. It is a favourite of mine which I continue to make for my family.
I hope you make it and enjoy it with your loved ones"
- 1 whole large white cabbage
- 500gr beef mince
- ½ bunch each of parsley and dill finely chopped
- ½ cup medium grain rice
- Natural sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small onion grated
- ¼ cup of high quality extra virgin olive oil by Ladi Biosas
- 5-6 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup lemon juice
- Remove the core of the cabbage and place into salted boiling water, cored part facing down.
- Boil for 15 minutes and then flip for a further 10-15 minutes.
- As the leaves start detaching place a strainer to drain.
- Once you get to the core the leaves are difficult to detach, so remove it and detach once cooled.
- Place in a large bowl the beef, rice, herbs, olive oil, onion and seasonings. Mix well to combine with your hands.
- Add water and mix through, the mixture should be moist and if not add a touch more water.
Take a cabbage leaf, cut out the stem and place 1 tbs of the filling in the centre. Fold both sides over the filling and roll up. Don’t roll too tight as the rise will expand.
Layer into a pot fitting them snug together.
Cover with the leftover cabbage leaves.
Place a plate on top so they don’t fall apart.
Pour enough water or stock to come up to the plate.
Cover and bring to the boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes.
Carefully remove plate and the cabbage leaves.
Separate egg yolks and whites a little at a time whilst continuously whisking to temper the eggs.
Carefully pour into the pot and shake from side to side to distribute the egg lemon sauce.
Bring to a boil, taste the seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Remove from the heat and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and toasted bread.
If you enjoyed this foodie community recipe by Efi, we think you're going to love these delicious recipes too:
Risotto with Snails & Smoked Paprika Recipe
Kremidopita - Traditional Onion Pie Recipe