By Ruth Bardis
Rozedes Kithiron - Ροζέδες Κυθήρων
Rozedes (from Simply More Greek cookbook) are traditional almond cookies from Kithira, an island opposite the south-eastern tip of the Peloponnese. They are nutty and beautifully spiced with cinnamon and clove and have a mellow sweetness from the honey. Once cooked and cooled, they are dipped into rose water and then liberally dusted with icing sugar to create a crust on the exterior. They are egg and dairy free and delightful with a cup of coffee. I enjoy the intensity of the added roasted almonds, but if you prefer a less nutty flavour, you can use raw almonds.
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup Greek forest/flower honey
- 2 cups raw almonds (skin on), ground, but not as fine as almond meal
- ½ cup roasted almonds (skin on) ground, but not as fine as almond meal
- ½ cup castor (super fine) sugar
- ¾ cup fine semolina
- 1½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 cup rose water
- 1½ cups icing (confectioners) sugar
Makes: 40 pieces • 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 160º C/320º F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place water and honey into a small saucepan and heat on the stove to melt the honey.
- Add this to a bowl together with the almonds, sugar, semolina, ground cloves, and cinnamon powder.
- Using the back of a spoon, press down to dampen the nut mixture. Using slightly wet hands, take a dessert spoon amount (no more than 18 g each) of mixture and gently squeeze in your palm to create a thin oval shape.
- The amount may seem small, but they will rise once baked. It will be sticky and a little tedious, but they should hold their shape.
- Keep wetting your hands to make it easier.
- Place onto baking tray and bake for 25–30 minutes or until firm and slightly golden on the outside. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack for at least 15–20 minutes. They will seem a little hard but will soften once they get dipped in the rose water.
- Take two bowls. Pour the rose water in one and put the icing sugar in the other.
- Dip the cookies quickly in the rose water and immediately toss in the icing sugar. Place onto a plate.
Enjoy with some high quality fine Greek coffee.
If you enjoyed this recipe, why not try some of our favourite vegan cookies/cakes recipes too: