By Eugene & Kali Orexi
1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil – Vassilakis Estate – My Olive Oil
3 level teaspoons Salt Odyssey – Salt Odyssey - Sea Salt Smoked in Beechwood
3 level teaspoons Mountain Treasures – Mountain Treasures - Organic Greek Oregano
3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
Juice of 1 – 2 lemons
Preparing the octopus
• Wash the octopus well. Cut the octopus at the base of the head, just below the eyes. Cut and separate each of the octopus’ limbs close to where they attach to the beak. Turn the octopus’ head inside-out and remove and discard all of the guts. Wash the octopus head well. Remove the skin from the octopus head. Cut the octopus head into 8 pieces.
• Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring to a rolling boil. Take the pot off the heat and gently lower in the octopus. Leave it there for 15 minutes.
• After 15 minutes, remove the octopus from the pot, place it in a bowl of ice water and leave it for 1⁄2 an hour. Strain the octopus and place it in a clean bowl lined with dry paper towels and cover it with cling film or foil. Refrigerate overnight.
Preparing the dressing
• Combine the extra virgin olive oil, salt, oregano, garlic and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside
Barbecuing the octopus
• Heat the barbecue on medium-high, before laying down the octopus pieces on the grill. Barbecue on both sides till brown score lines appear. Once barbecued, chop the octopus limbs into 3-4 pieces each and place them in a serving bowl. Pour the dressing over the octopus and mix well.
Serving the octopus
• Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe serves 8-10 people as part of an appetizer spread.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then head over to https://www.kali-orexi.com.au for more authentic Greek recipes and for the easiest to follow step by step video recipes.